The Scrapbooking Essentials You Need
Scrapbooking is a fantastic way to organise your memories and make sure they’re kept safe for future generations (while also letting your creative juices flow!) It’s a great way to keep all your ‘scraps’, like photos, memorabilia, tickets, and journal entries, together in one spot, making it easy for you and your family to go back and revisit memorable occasions whenever you like. Anyways, let's check out our scrapbook ideas for beginners or if you've been doing this for a while, hopefully you can get some pointers too!
Be sure to also check out our craft category here for all your crafty needs, including:
- Adhesives & Tapes
- Cutting Mats & Art Knives
- Kids Craft Supplies
- Ribbons for Art & Craft
- Fabric Dyes & Markers
- Finishing Touches
There are many ways to scrapbook
As we said before, scrapbooking is all about using your creativity to record your memories in attractive and whimsical ways. Usually, the main component of a scrapbook is photos, however you can also use an abundance of papercrafting techniques and embellishments to make your scrapbook really stand out and encourage people to look at it.
You can organise your scrapbooks in many different ways. Some people like to organise their scrapbooks into themes, with each page representing a different type of memory. For example, you can have pages for holidays, first days of school, babies being born etc.
Another way to organise your scrapbook is sequentially. If you’re documenting your child’s early years for example, you can have all your memories in sequential order, starting from their baby photos to their first day of school. It’s all up to you!
What do I need to scrapbook?
Scrapbooking has developed so much since it started way back in the 15th or 16th centuries. Back then, scrapbooking was simply a collection contained in a book, with the collection probably consisting of recipe cards, greeting cards, tickets or playbills.
Nowadays, scrapbookers have an entire industry dedicated to designing scrapbook-specific products to ensure their photos are kept safe, such as acid and lignin-free papers, adhesives and embellishments, as well as photo-safe page protectors. The biggest danger of scrapbooking is putting your photos at risk of damage or fading, so it’s important to use the right products to ensure you’re protecting them.
The good thing about scrapbooking, and the reason it’s a favourite hobby of so many people, is that it’s so simple to do - you don’t require any previous skill or expertise. All you need is the right materials, some precious memories and a big imagination!
So whether you’re an experienced scrapbooker or you’re just wanting to give it a go, here are some ideas for what to pick up on your visit to the craft store to start your scrapbooking adventure.
What do I need?
- A scrapbooking album - There’s a myriad of scrapbooking albums available, so you can choose the size that you want to work in and one that suits your colour scheme or theme.
- Refill pages for your album - Refill pages come in all different shapes and sizes, so pick up a few packs when you choose the size of album you’ll be working in. You never know how many pages you’re going to use, as you might get carried away with your creativity (or just have lots of photos to show!)
- A high-quality pair of scissors - You need to find a pair of scissors that are comfortable to hold, as you’re probably going to be using them for long periods of time. There are scissors that are dedicated to scrapbooking, usually with very fine tips for those tricky spots and comfortable handles.
- Adhesive - There are so many different types of adhesive, and to get the most out of your scrapbook, you’re probably going to need a few different types. To get started, you want an acid-free adhesive that will work well on both cardstock and photos. Foam tape and adhesive dots are also good to have on-hand.
- Cardstock and patterned papers - There’s an absolute myriad of paper weights, thicknesses and colours out there, so it might be a good idea for you to have a rough theme or colour scheme in mind before you head to the craft store. Purchase a variety of different paper accents and trimmings to add that special touch to your scrapbook. You can either select individual items or purchase packs.
- Journal pens - There’s nothing worse than creating a beautiful scrapbooking page and then messing it up with a dodgy pen that doesn’t look great. Look for high-quality, acid-free, permanent pens with fine tips for writing in your scrapbook. You might want to buy thicker pens if you plan on handwriting titles, or ones that have a fine tip on one end and a wider tip at the other end.
- All the embellishments - The little details are where scrapbooking gets seriously fun. Purchase embellishments like stickers, buttons, lace trim, glitter and anything else you can imagine to turn your scrapbook from just a photo album into a treasured way to store your memories.
Getting started with scrapbooking
Scrapbooking is the perfect hobby for a fun, relatively cheap and easy way to organise your family’s precious memories. So the next time you have a rainy day at home or you start thinking about all those boxes of old photos stored away in the attic, why not head to your local craft store and pick up what you need to get scrapbooking?
Discount Art n’ Craft Warehouse stocks a range of supplies that are perfect for scrapbooking, so check out the range online now.
See our related articles here: